LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: COVID-19 and production of The Signal

UPDATE: 3/24/20 – UHCL campus operations are being moved fully online starting March 25 – April 3. Campus access will be limited to only essential personnel.

Hello Hawks,

Out of an abundance of caution, UHCL has decided to cancel classes for the week of March 16-20 and transition to being taught online or through an alternative format starting March 23, amid the continuing spread of COVID-19. Of the same mindset, The Signal editorial staff has chosen to transition to working on the student-run newspaper on a more remote schedule.

Prior to spring break, our staff of over 30 – majority of whom are students in the Media Production course – would work in the newsroom, located in Bayou Building room 1239. With the Media Production course now becoming fully online, our remaining staff of student workers will continue their duties in the newsroom on a staggered shift schedule.

This is to ensure a minimized risk of potential exposure, while also practicing CDC recommended social distancing. Additionally, this is subject to change as the situation develops.

Issues of The Signal will still be produced and content published regularly on our website. However, it is in the best interest of our student staff’s health and safety to mirror the precautions UHCL is activating.

As shown through our coverage of Hurricane Harvey and other isolated events prompting the closure of the university, The Signal is experienced and prepared to continue publication despite obstacles.

For updates on university announcements regarding COVID-19, visit UHCL’s Health Alert page. To submit a story idea, email thesignal@uhcl.edu.

The Signal remains dedicated to informing, educating and engaging the UHCL community during this time of transition.

Your Community. Your Voice. Your Signal.

Brandon Ruiz-Peña
Editor-in-Chief

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.