LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: Farewell from your former Editor-in-Chief

This summer was my last as Editor-in-Chief of The Signal. It has been so many different things along the way, but it has mostly been the most transformative experience of my college career. When first joining the staff, I never imagined being an editor, let alone Editor-in-Chief.

When I started I enjoyed doing live reporting and wanted to continue writing reviews in addition to my social media live coverage duties. Soon enough, however, I was writing articles about grants for faculty and new exhibits at Space Center Houston.

Before too long I began to thoroughly enjoy the process of trying different assignments and telling stories in various ways. I made infographics, timelines, videos and tried my hand at all styles of writing. Unbeknownst to me, I was fostering my love for digital media and even won some awards for my work along the way. By the time I finished my Bachelor’s degree, I felt as though I had only begun to scratch the surface of that love and decided to get my Master’s degree. 

Many of the people I have learned the most from throughout college I met in this office. As an editor I learned not only about journalism and digital media publication, I also received education through discussions (see: arguments) on Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, Taylor Swift, Disney, Game of Thrones, Jennifer Lopez, video games, cryptocurrency and the metaverse, among many other topics.

The previous editor-in-chief, Emily Wolfe, wrote in her goodbye letter that this job would put me through the wringer. She was absolutely right. Through the persevering COVID-19 pandemic, return to campus™, unpublishing requests, continued leadership shakeups, winning multiple chili cook-offs and the largest staff since Spring 2020, I too am old, tired and a bit burnt out. Despite that, I am looking forward to what the future holds for me.

However, I always had amazing editors to rely on. Alyssa, Arturo, Brandon, Cesar, Emily, Jessica, Justin, Kay, Stephanie and Troylon, I can’t thank you enough for all of the help, support and growth I gained as a result of working with you. I also want to thank you for all of the laughs we had in the office, in New York for CMA and in DFW for TIPA. I will cherish the memories we’ve made goofing around and working together forever.

Troylon, good luck as you take on the mantle of Editor-in-Chief. I know it is going to be just as exciting, frustrating, fun and rewarding for you as it was for me. Unlike myself and Emily, I don’t think that you’ll be burnt out by the time you finish up your tenure. You’ve always had a way of bringing levity to any situation, no matter how difficult, and your radiant positivity is genuinely unmatched by anyone I’ve ever met.  I am going to miss that. I know you’re going to be a great Editor-in-Chief. I believe you will continue to find people who will help you achieve the mission of this publication as you did this past Summer with our new staff.

Lindsay, thank you. I could (should) probably say that a billion times. You’ve been there to support me and the staff through everything over the past several years and it’s been a wild ride to say the absolute least. Working with you inspired me from having a vague interest in social media and writing about concerts to fostering a genuine love for journalism and digital media. 

When I faced tough circumstances, you were always there to entertain every hypothetical scenario my stressed-out anxious brain could conjure. You’ve always handled the toughest situations with patience, grace and diplomacy and I’m so thankful that your strongly advised guidance has helped me to foster those skills in myself.

Emily said in her letter that I was the right person to “steer this ship into daylight” and at the time, those words made me cry because I still felt uncertain about being Editor-in-Chief. However, I’ve learned that a captain is only as good as the crewmates on their ship. I am indescribably grateful that my aforementioned crewmates are some of the most phenomenal people I’ve ever met and had the privilege of working alongside. I am forever thankful to have learned the ropes from them and wise captains across many ships including Lindsay, Taleen, Angie, Tyler and Patrick. Without all of you, I wouldn’t be the person I am today and I couldn’t have steered this ship anywhere at all. I am going to miss The Signal and UHCL so, so much. It’s been an honor to serve as Editor-in-Chief. Thank you everyone for everything.

With peace and love,

Miles Shellshear, former Editor-in-Chief

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.