SAFE PASSAGE

UHCL now has a safe haven for LGBT population

Lindsey Watson

The Signal Staff

Safe Zone Allies
From left: Kristi Randolph-Simon, associate director of student success center, Robert Bartsch, interim associate dean of HSH, Kim Case, assistant professor of psychology and women’s studies, and Stephen “Arch” Erich, associate professor of social work, participate in Safe Zone orientation.

On Jan. 29, University of Houston–Clear Lake opened its doors to Safe Zone, a new program that encourages tolerance and acceptance for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community on campus.

Safe Zone is a unique program that is quickly gaining recognition on college campuses across the nation.  Safe Zone provides a safe haven for the LGBT population in the form of certain individuals, known as allies, who are specially trained to deal with issues pertaining specifically to this group and provide a nonjudgmental environment.

A student experiencing issues or discrimination pertaining to their sexual orientation or identity can easily seek  an ally who can offer them assistance, support and an encouraging person.  The program is also for family, friends or anyone who may have a concern relating to the LGBT community.

Julie Smith, coordinator for women’s & LGBT services in International & Intercultural Student Services, is in charge of coordinating, training and continued development of the program.  The first orientation and training session took place Feb. 3 where 32 faculty and staff members were trained as allies.  

“It’s not just for LGBT people, it’s also for allies, family, friends, anyone with a concern or has seen anything on campus,” Smith said when referring to who is eligible to utilize Safe Zone.

To date, there are three offices that have been officially declared as Safe Zones: Intercultural and International Student Services, Student Publications and Counseling Services.

“We just want to make it known that it’s okay to come to campus and talk to people about these [LGBT] issues,” Smith said.

Safe Zone logo

Stephen “Arch” Erich, associate professor of social work, has been involved in the Safe Zone program organization and development since its inception.  He believes that the program is important not only for physical but emotional safety for the LGBT community.

“If people don’t feel safe emotionally, that is taking away from what they are truly here [at UHCL] for,” Erich stated.

Kim Case, assistant professor of psychology and women’s studies, also served on the committee to develop a Safe Zone program.

“By implementing a successful Safe Zone program, UHCL is standing for a respectful, diverse, and inclusive academic environment.  The Safe Zone is designed to address issues and concerns relevant to LGBT communities.  However, the spirit of the Safe Zone is to create a safe campus for all students,”  Case said.

This program comes on the heels of a decision by the UH Office of the General Counsel to not include the phrase “gender identity and expression” in UH-System’s nondiscrimination statement.  This decision was based on a court case known as the “Issa Lopez ruling” in which a transgendered female was denied employment due to the fact that the said business claimed she misrepresented herself by presenting herself as a female when she was in fact a male.  The court subsequently ruled in her favor.

General Counsel determined that the word “sex” already in place in the policy covers any discrimination based on gender identity including transgendered individuals, and no change would be made to the nondiscrimination policy.  UH did decide, however, that student handbooks, employment manuals and all university correspondence will include the “gender identity and expression” addition.

UH also decided to accommodate transitioning transgender individuals with separate family restrooms and partitioned dressing rooms as well as a LGBT resource center.

Josephine Tittsworth, UHCL alumna and advocate of the LGBT community, has worked to bring change to University of Houston System for the LGBT community.

“The struggle is going to continue to get the language in the nondiscrimination statement,”   Tittsworth said.  “Eventually it’s going to happen, but we’re still doing it…we’re still working on it.  This is a giant leap.”

Safe Zone allies at UHCL:

IISS Office
SSCB 1.203 281-283-2575

• Linda Contreras Bullock
  • Sameer Pande
  • Julie Smith
  • Susana Hernandez
  • Maricela Lopez
  • Imelda Estrada
  • Sai Krishna
  • Mohammed Gooni
  • Hemanjan Padhy
  • Udeshika Amarasinghe
  • Prashanti Pandit
  • Vi Tran
  • Corey Benson

Student Publications
B1239 281-283-2572

• Taleen Washington
  • Lindsay Humphrey
  • Lindsey Watson

Student Services Assistant Vice President’s Office

• Darlene Biggers

Student Life

• Jenn Clark, SSCB 1.204 281-283-2611
  • Allison Scahill, SSCB 1.204 281-283-2554

Student Government Association

• Patrick Cardenas

School of Human Sciences and Humanities

• Robert Bartsch, B1529 281-283-3401
  • Heather Kanenberg, B2617 281-283-3337
  • Kim Case, B2617 281-283-3338
  • Stephen “Arch” Erich, B2617 281-283-3388
  • Stephanie Hart, B1508.7 281-283-3067

School of Education

• David Benz, B1231 281-283-3614
  • Michelle Kaltenbach, B1231 281-283-3610

University Advancement

• Kris Thompson, B1604 281-283-2040

Career and Counseling Services

• Alfred Kahn, SSCB 3.109 281-283-2585

Health and Disability

• Sarah Roberts, SSCB 1.301

Admissions

• Lily Swan, SSCB 1.102 281-283-2503

Library

• Heather Strawser, B2402 281-283-3699

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.