Former Signal managing editor receives award from Texas Veterans Commission for VSO editorial

PHOTO: Former Managing Editor Justin Murphy won the 2019 Excellence in Media Award from the Texas Veterans Commission. Photo courtesy of Justin Murphy.
Former Managing Editor Justin Murphy won the 2019 Excellence in Media Award from the Texas Veterans Commission in the student category. Photo courtesy of Justin Murphy.

Justin Murphy, former managing editor of The Signal, received the Excellence in Media Award from the Texas Veterans Commission’s student category for the editorial he wrote on behalf of the student-run newspaper’s editorial board. The editorial, titled “Delayed hiring of VSO leadership hinders veteran students’ educational journey,” was published in fall 2018 and reflected The Signal editorial board’s views regarding the University of Houston-Clear Lake’s search for a new director of the Office of Veteran Services (VSO).

The Texas Veterans Commission website states the award is meant to recognize works in media that have been exemplary in “researching, reporting, writing and/or production to foster public understanding on veterans’ issues.”

At the time of the editorial’s publication, UHCL’s VSO was experiencing a hiring crisis, with two leadership positions vacant. That is when Murphy pitched the idea for the opinion piece.

“I knew that my story idea was going to be selected because the whole issue of ‘who is going to lead the VSO’ was going on for months prior to this,” Murphy said. “Students, faculty and staff were insanely confused about what was going to happen with the VSO since Trish [Ruiz] and Jay [Hernandez] left. So during the assignment meeting, the editors and staff decided that this was something that needed to be said.”

Murphy highlighted how, at the time, a graduate student was in charge of veteran service-related matters, something that he and his fellow editors deemed unacceptable.

“That was the biggest thing I was trying to convey,” Murphy said. “That we as a university needed to be better.”

Murphy said when writing an editorial, one has to keep in mind the opinion reflects the voice of the editors on staff and not just the writer. At the time, the editorial board consisted of Murphy as co-managing editor; Brandon Peña, editor-in-chief; Troylon Griffin II, co-managing editor; Alyssa Shotwell, online editor; and Katherine Rodriguez, audience engagement editor.

“That was challenging to do because each person had their own view on what was happening, but collectively we had to come to an agreement so that I could write,” Murphy said.

Murphy describes himself as being “humbled” to have won the award.

“Never in my life would I have expected that my work would be recognized on a higher level,” Murphy said. “I never wrote for awards. I always wrote to inform. That’s a journalist’s job, to inform the public on issues they might not be aware of. So to be recognized for simply doing my job well, it gave me a sense of accomplishment and achievement.”

Jim Halbrook, Texas Veteran Commission’s public affairs officer, said what set the editorial apart from other nominees was the documenting of a need for veteran service officers. Halbrook also said veterans service officers are vital to ensuring the benefits veterans can get after their service, and that Murphy’s editorial showed their importance.

“That is where the story shined,” Halbrook said. “It showed why the need for one is so important. It wasn’t just reporting but it was a call for action.”

On June 3, Phil Gore took over the position of director of the VSO.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.