IMO: Acknowledging the importance of student press in COVID-19

Last year was full of many life-changing events. From a pandemic to racial uprisings, it’s safe to say that 2020 was a transformative year and we are still seeing its effects.

The COVID-19 pandemic completely upended the world, and with it my life as a student journalist. Classes, like Media Production, went online and so did my internship at The Signal. Basically, what was once a 10-minute drive to campus became a two-second walk to my desk.

GRAPHIC: Cartoon newspaper with cartoon virus and laptop in front of a blurry, opaque photo of the SSCB building. Graphic by Managing Editor of Outreach Stephanie Perez.
At The Signal, we make sure to provide the students with the need-to-know information. Graphic by Managing Editor of Outreach Stephanie Perez.

At The Signal, we make sure to provide the students with the need-to-know information. For me, continuing to cover things that include COVID-19 as well as things happening on campus make it easier to find an explanation to what was going on in the world and in the community. It allows me to center myself during such a chaotic time.

Student journalists are the bridge between administrators and students. During the COVID-19 pandemic, keeping the student body informed and, if possible, assured that their school is taking the proper safety measures is a goal that I think is very important during these times.

Currently, with a staff of less than 10 people, we continue to inform students on what is going on around campus and the world. Being remote has not stopped us from speaking out and amplifying the student voice.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.