YOUR VOICE: Sharing your winter jams

While some people prefer to listen to traditional holiday music during the winter, others enjoy listening to other genres during this season. The Signal asked students, staff and faculty about their favorite winter music they like to listen to during this time of the year. Read their answers below and contribute your own!

There is something about the winter season that just puts me in the mood for rock and metal while also enjoying wonderful pop music during exciting holiday parties. The pop music helps to balance out the alternative I might listen to at night. Something about the winter puts me in the mood for The Weeknd’s “Starboy” album, and “Party Monster” is a song on there that never gets old. Plus it fits with all the parties one might go to during the holidays.
-Troylon Griffin II, Managing Editor of Content and Operations, Literature graduate student
Death metal for holiday blues. Black Dahlia to be thankful.
-Dave Boer, SSCB Lab Assistant 2

I like to listen to holiday classics like “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber or “Sleigh Ride” by TLC. This type of music really puts me in a good mood and allows me to romanticize my life during the chaos that can come with the winter holidays. My favorite winter song is the classic “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey.
-Stephanie Perez, Audience Engagement Editor, Digital Media Studies graduate student
R&B: it’s a much more soothing melody that fits the cool temperatures and the sweater weather. It fits really well with the classic soulful Christmas music. “Don’t Miss It” by James Blake because it’s something that reminds me of the winter time since that’s when I first heard of James Blake. His music will always fit that time frame for me.
-Cesar Cardenas, Communication major

I love the holiday classics. As a record collector, there is nothing quite like the time of year when I can take out the Alvin and the Chipmunks, Sinatra and Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas albums and give them a spin. Growing up, I really grew to love the Alvin and the Chipmunks song “Christmas Don’t Be Late.” It’s so evocative of those nostalgic childhood memories of wonder and delight at the holiday and all that comes with it.
-Miles Shellshear, Editor-in-Chief, Digital Media Studies graduate student
I’m really big on Christmas music! Christmas time was my favorite time of the year growing up (and now) and my family always listened to Christmas music around the holidays. Listening to it now makes me feel very nostalgic and get in that holiday spirit! I don’t think I could pick just one favorite winter song, but I’ve always been a huge fan of the song “Someday at Christmas,” specifically the Stevie Wonder and Andra Day version. It always makes me hopeful for a bright future.
-Jessica Kunzat, Managing Editor of Outreach, Mechanical Engineering major

I think I go more Indie Folk in the winter, lots of Fleet Foxes. And we always listen to “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” by The Flaming Lips as well as “All Things Must Pass” by George Harrison. Even though it’s probably the saddest holiday song, I absolutely love “River” by Joni Mitchell. I don’t know, it’s just beautiful.
-Lindsay Humphrey, Manager of Student Publications
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.