The Signal goes digital

The addition of freshmen and sophomores to the UHCL community is not the only change to be found on campus this semester. The Signal, the official student newspaper of the university, has begun to plot a new course and is committed to a digital transformation.

Starting with the Sept. 22 issue of the newspaper, weekly issues will be published on The Signal’s website, www.uhclthesignal.com, and downloadable as a mobile application with interactive features. Printed special editions will still hit newsstands once or twice each semester.

Although the newspaper has included an online presence since 2001, publication trends created a push for a mobile product readily available on smartphones and/or tablets. The Signal’s new mobile app will provide a tool for readers to interact with the newspaper and its staff.

“I think we may have the university’s first campus app; if not the first, we are definitely one of the early ones,” said Taleen Washington, the newspaper’s faculty adviser. “I’m excited about the frequency of publication and interactivity with readership that we’re going to be able to offer.”

The demand for a digital newspaper became overwhelmingly clear after a public opinion poll was conducted throughout the campus in fall 2012 and spring 2013 to determine readership trends.

Content for The Signal newspaper is provided by students enrolled in the Communication program’s Media Production class. The majority of university newspapers are run by a paid staff and not as a part of class. Last year, The Signal was restructured to include four paid student workers to serve in the editorial roles, creating a hybrid model of paid student editors with a course-credit staff.

“I’m very excited about the new hybrid model,” Washington said. “Having a paid, student editorial staff empowers the students to have an even stronger voice and influence on the publication process. Having a digital presence makes it even more important than ever to have student editors in the newsroom outside of class hours because decisions have to be made more quickly and frequently.”

Washington decided to offer a weekly issue of The Signal instead of its traditional bi-weekly production once UHCL became officially recognized as a four-year institution.

Washington said offering a second class section of Media Production with an alternating production schedule will “enable the editors to produce a weekly newspaper while still maintaining a learning-friendly environment for students enrolled in the Media Production course. Media Production team processes must be re-taught every semester to new students; having experienced staff on salary will help provide continuity.”

Tiffany Fitzpatrick, editor of The Signal, approves of the changes since it will give a “better chance to voice the opinions of students,” she said.
Managing Editor Sam Savell is excited about The Signal going digital.

“The flexibility is great and our potential to create has broadened,” Savell said.

The digital format will include several new features such as a community bulletin board where announcements can be made such as used schoolbooks for sale and study group meetings.

Despite her conviction that the decision to transition from print to digital format is in the best interest of UHCL, it still triggers some mixed emotions for Washington.

“I’m going to miss print because I’m old school,” Washington said. “I’ll miss the smell and feel of newsprint. Fortunately, we’ll still be able to maintain a print presence with the special editions, like this one celebrating the 40th anniversary of UHCL, and our first freshmen and sophomore students.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.