BRIEF: The Columbia Scholastic Press Association announces The Signal as a Gold Crown finalist

UHCL’s student publication, The Signal, is a 2022 Gold Crown finalist for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Crown Awards. The Signal is one of three publications to be chosen as finalists in the College Digital News category.

Having previously won a Silver Crown Award in 2016 and 2019, The Signal won its first Gold Crown Award in 2020. The 2022 nomination marks the fourth nomination for the publication.

“We have won the Gold and Silver Crown Award before in the past; it was a huge honor then and it’s just as big of an honor now to be recognized again and win the Gold or Silver Crown Award again this year,” said Miles Shellshear, Editor-In-Chief of The Signal.

From facing a pandemic to undergoing an operational transition, the team at The Signal had to adjust to various changes.

PHOTO: Screenshot of The Signal's announcement as a finalist for a Gold Crown Award for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Screenshot by The Signal Audience Engagement Editor Stephanie Perez via The Columbia Scholastic Press Association Twitter.
The 2022 nomination marks the fourth nomination for the publication. Screenshot by The Signal Audience Engagement Editor Stephanie Perez via The Columbia Scholastic Press Association Twitter.

“What many don’t realize is that it’s been a very small group of students doing everything – only 5-7 students each semester since May 2020,” said Lindsay Humphrey, manager of student publications. “They’re juggling full course loads, part-time jobs and internships, caring for families, dealing with the effects of the pandemic–and they’re also publishing top-notch journalism. I am continually in awe of their hard work and dedication. The Crown Award is a much-deserved recognition from CSPA.”

The Signal scored an overall score of 987 out of 1,000 in CSPA’s critique. The critique assesses school publications and is a marker in how The Signal will be judged for the Crown Awards.

All finalists are ensured to win a Silver or Gold Crown Award and the final results will be presented March 19, 2022 at the CSPA ceremony.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.