STAFF PICKS: Celebrating Asian, Pacific Islander and Desi American stories

Despite names like Sandra Oh, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Mindy Kaling, M. Night Shyamalan and now Bong Joon-Ho being household names, there is disparity when it comes to Asian representation in American media.

A 2019 study by USC Annenberg found that in 2018, 4% of directors in 2018 were Asian (none women) and over half of films featured no Asian characters. Since 1929, three Asian actors total have won in the four acting categories (supporting and lead), yet many white women have won for playing Asian characters, and in some cases preforming “yellow face.”

In celebration of Asian Pacific Islander and Desi American (APIDA) Heritage Month and The Signal staff share their favorite APIDA stories or work created by APIDA creatives. Check out their picks below and comment below with your own favorites.

“Never Have I Ever” (2020)

Created in part by Mindy Kaling, “Never Have I Ever” follows the life of Indian-American teenager, Devi, as she deals with the pressures of high school, family, and copes with the loss of her father. This show does a great job of giving a very real take on what it’s like to deal with grief, while also trying to navigate being a first-generation American teen.

Jessica Kunzat , Audience Engagement Coordinator

The Signal reporter Jessica Kunzat.

“Whale Rider” (2002)

Growing up, I was absolutely obsessed with this movie. It’s about a young Māori girl who fights against her family and tribe’s tradition to prove she has what it takes to be a future chief. The writer and director Niki Caro is a New Zealander and the cast stars actors from New Zealand and of Māori descent, including Keisha Castle-Hughes who was 13 when she was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for this film.

Emily Wolfe , Executive Editor

“One Child Nation” (2019)

This documentary looks at the controversial one-child policy adopted by China in the 70s until the laxing (two-child) in 2015. I remember learning about this in junior high during a academic pentathlon, but never really though about the immediate and lasting damage until watching this. What I really love about what this documentary does is talking to so many people with difference perspectives. It shows how this changed lives of families and communities. It also highlights the horrors of taking away choice from women when it comes to family planning. This was directed by Nanfu Wang and Lynn Zhang.

Alyssa Shotwell , Online Editor

GRAPHIC: Self portrait of The Signal Online Editor Alyssa Shotwell. Graphic created by The Signal Online Editor Alyssa Shotwell.

“3 Idiots” (2009)

This movie is not only an excellent Bollywood film full of laughs and great production, but it is also one with a great message about school and following one’s dreams. As a film that provides a great look into higher education in India and the universal struggle of finding one’s path, “3 Idiots” is a movie that manages to be informative, hilarious and all around entertaining while assuring you that everything is going to be okay!

Troylon Griffin II , Co-managing Editor

PHOTO: The Signal reporter Troylon Griffin II.

“Flight of the Conchords (2007)

In “Flight of the Conchords” Jemaine Clement and Brett McKinzie portray fictionalized versions of themselves as native New Zealanders who travel to New York City seeking fame. The duo have real experiences that result in compelling and emotional stories about two best friends navigating life as artists in New York City. The show was created by Clement, McKinzie and HBO producer James Bobin after the duo’s formation and successful music career. The series is incredibly fun and witty, featuring additional notable comedians such as Kristen Schaal and Rhys Darby, with guest appearances from Aziz Ansari, Kristen Wiig and Patton Oswalt.

Miles Shellshear , Co-managing Editor

Photo of Signal Reporter Miles Shellshear

“Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten: Cambodia’s Lost Rock and Roll” (2015)

This documentary about the vibrant Cambodian music scene during the 1960s and 1970s – before the Khmer Rouge and the Cambodian genocide – is incredibly moving and particularly unique for the rock documentary genre. Director John Pirozzi does a phenomenal job of tracing Cambodian popular music from its start in the 1950s and piecing together its history through those who survived Pol Pot’s regime and those who loved and were influenced by the music. It is a vital, haunting movie that leaves a lasting impression, and the music is simply brilliant. Do yourself a huge favor and check it out.

Webmaster

“Marvel’s ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'” (2013)

This Marvel show will soon debut its final season and features two leading Asian American actresses Chloe Bennet and Ming-Na Wen. Additionally, Asian American producer Maurissa Tancharoen is one of showrunners of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” This is a must watch for all fans of the Marvel films, and has one of the most diverse ensemble casts in television history.

Brandon Ruiz-Peña , Editor-in-Chief

PHOTO: The Signal Editor-in-Chief Brandon Peña.

“Moana” (2016)

Moana is Disney movie about a princess who goes on an adventure with the demigod Maui to return the heart of Te Fiti. The movie displays Polynesian culture through their relationship as a community, with water and, ultimately, nature. Furthermore, the demigod Maui is a character common across Polynesia. Lastly, many of the characters are also voiced by people of Polynesian descent such as Auli’i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson.

Stephanie Perez, reporter

“What we do in the Shadows” (2014)

From “Thor Ragnarok” to “Jojo Rabbit,” Taiki Waititi is one of my favorite creatives in film. One of his earliest successes, “What We Do in the Shadows”  is a hilarious mockumentary about various vampire roommates living in the capital of New Zealand. Each vampire represents a different period in popular vampire literature, making for a dynamic and highly watchable household. Both Waititi and Jemaine Clement are of Maori heritage and teamed up to write, direct and co-star in this horror comedy. When you fall in love with this movie, go check out the TV series of the same name and premise produced by Waititi and Clement, who make cameos in the show.

Alyssa Shotwell, Online Editor

“The Big Sick” (2017)

“The Big Sick” is a film adaptation of the story of Pakistani comedian, actor and storyteller Kumail Nanjiani meeting his partner, Emily Gordon. The film was written by Nanjiani and Gordon, then produced by Judd Apatow. The story is hilarious, shocking, and dramatic but eventually uplifting. The film challenges traditional notions of relationships through cross generational and cultural lenses, providing a refreshing take on the romantic comedy genre.

Miles Shellshear , Co-managing Editor

“Quantico” (2015)

Quantico is a show which follows a group of FBI agents and stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas as Alex Parrish, who is initially a prime suspect in a terrorist attack. This show is action-packed and features a diverse cast. It is one of the best-written shows and deserved more than three seasons! With this show, Chopra Jonas is also the first South Asian to lead an American network drama.

Brandon Ruiz-Peña , Editor-in-Chief

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.