Office of Student Life renamed Student Involvement and Leadership

UNIVERSITY PRESS RELEASE

The Division of Student Affairs is pleased to announce that the Office of Student Life is now the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, effective May 1, 2019. The new name reflects the evolution of the student programs and leadership experiences at University of Houston-Clear Lake and aligns with national trends in student affairs organizational design.

For over 30 years, the office was the “home” of many different programs and services designed to support students in their personal and professional development. Many of the former functions once housed in-office are now stand-alone departments/functional areas in the Division of Students Affairs, including, but not limited to, Student Publications, new student orientation, women’s resources, health/wellness and recreation, gym/fitness room management, and student ID card services.

History Behind the Change

In response to the division transformation to Student Affairs, Dr. Daniel Maxwell, the interim vice president for Student Affairs, initiated the name change project. Maxwell tasked Mr. Patrick Cardenas, interim director, to work with students and full-time staff to create a more focused name that best described the current programs in the department. The programs, services, and functions include campus activities and events, the mascot program, community engagement, the spirit and tradition programs, leadership programs, and registered student organizations. The department staff also serve as the primary advisers to the Student Government Association, the Campus Activities Board, and the Hawk Spirit and Traditions Council.

Cardenas facilitated staff meetings throughout FY19, which included brainstorming sessions and student feedback on names. The name change project included benchmarking all Texas state public institutions and a select number of institutions around the country that were comparable to UHCL. Students submitted names for consideration and the list of suggested names was narrowed down from eight to four for consideration. A final in-office survey helped narrow down the list to three options and Cardenas presented the options at a Student Government Association meeting for feedback.

The Future of the Department

Cardenas stated, “The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership will continue to offer relevant and engaging programs, services and activities to support student success both in and outside of the classroom. The new name provides a clear understanding on the focus of the office in supporting student success through involvement and leadership.”

Maxwell added, “Enhancing and sustaining the ‘student life experience’ is a major focus of the Division of Student Affairs with the collective initiatives from each of our departments. The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership provides many options for all students to engage and find a connection to UHCL. The new department name accurately reflects that type of engagement.”

A comprehensive rebranding effort will take place over the next two months with our newest Hawks learning about the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership during summer orientation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.