Staff Picks: Foreign language films and shows one should stream summer 2019

Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll and the myriad of other popular streaming services contain thousands of hours of content created and produced in foreign languages. Here are just some of those various films and shows selected for you to stream by your Signal staff!

“The Rain” available on Netflix.

If you’re like me and love good post-apocalyptic thrillers, then the Netflix original series “The Rain” is a must see. As someone who doesn’t tend to watch foreign language shows, this has become an unexpected favorite of mine. This show centers around a brother and sister duo who must learn to survive in a world they haven’t seen in years while hiding in a bunker from toxic rain. The nonstop rollercoaster ride is quick to binge with only 14 episodes and a final season coming out next year.

PHOTO: The Signal Editor-in-Chief Brandon Peña.

-Brandon Peña, Editor in Chief

It came up on suggested shows for me, and I watched the first episode and proceeded to binge the rest within the next day.

The Signal reporter Jessica Kunzat.-Jessica Kunzat, Reporter

“Attack on Titan” available on Crunchyroll, Hulu and Netflix.

I chose this show because it deals with issues like religion, class, government, the military, and unavoidable disasters. When the show first came out, I thought the titans were too grotesque and didn’t watch it until last year. Now, I am eager to learn more about the characters, the plot, and the background information that makes this fantasy world anime so interesting to me, like the lore of how Titans first came to be and the human characters’ Omni-Directional Mobility (ODM) gear which gives them Spider-Man like abilities to climb walls, change directions and attack mid-air.

-Arturo Guerra, Audience Engagement Coordinator

As one of the best animes out right now, this show is one that has had my attention since the first season. As an anime that manages to provide great action with an ongoing mystery, this is definitely an anime worth checking out.

PHOTO: The Signal reporter Troylon Griffin II.-Troylon Griffin II, Managing Editor

“Elite” available on Netflix.

As a lover of teen dramas AND a lover of shows about murder, Elite is perfect. It is a Spanish television series that centers on the relationship between low-income scholarship students and wealthy students in a private school setting. There’s love, drugs AND MURDER. It’s fantastic and the acting is superb.

PHOTO: Staff photo of The Signal reporter Emily Wolfe. Photo courtesy of Regan Bjerkeli.

-Emily Wolfe, Executive Editor

“Killer Ratings” available on Netflix.

This true crime docuseries revolves around Brazilian TV personality and politician Wallace Souza. Souza was accused in 2009 of involvement in the violent crimes he reported on and rallied audiences against in his very popular show ‘Canal Livre,’ which exposed murders, kidnapping and trafficking operations, culminating in his election to the Legislative Assembly of Amazonas in 1998, only to be exposed and expelled in 2009 as a result of investigations concluding he had ordered murders in an effort to boost ratings of Canal Livre. It is the most insane true crime story I have ever seen in my life, and if you’re even remotely interested in true crime it will certainly capture your interest.

Photo of Signal Reporter Miles Shellshear

-Miles Shellshear, Managing Editor

“Haikyu!!” available on Crunchyroll and Netflix.

It’s a series about volleyball (which I enjoy) so I decided to start watching it. Once I started, I realized it has a really good story and every episode ends in a way that you feel you HAVE to watch the next one so it’s really addictive!

PHOTO: The Signal reporter Izuh Ikpeama.

-Izuh Ikpeama, Live Reporter Coordinator

“Aggretsuko” available on Netflix.

Despite trying many popular animes, this genre is not my cup of tea. That being said I have fallen head over heels for アグレッシブ烈子 (Aggretsuko.) This a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e red panda is stuck terrible career, the pressures of the patriarchy and other day to day frustrations. How does she deal with this rage? Heavy Metal karaoke. There are more obvious ties to Japanese work life culture, but so many issues transfer over here too.

GRAPHIC: Self portrait of The Signal Online Editor Alyssa Shotwell. Graphic created by The Signal Online Editor Alyssa Shotwell.

-Alyssa Shotwell, Online Editor

“Juda” available on Hulu.

It’s made in Israel, which I think is pretty interesting. Also it has gangsters, cultural conflict and vampires!

-Ethan Duke, Reporter

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.