SECOND THOUGHTS: Welcome to my final ‘Second Thoughts’

There is beauty in reflection. After all, a reflection is ultimately a second look, glance or image. The time has come for the ultimate reflection. 

All good things must come to an end. While the jury is still out on that one, something good has certainly reached an end after five years: my time at The Signal, and of course as your editor-in-chief. 

I joined The Signal my first semester of college in 2017. Having done journalism in high school, it was common sense that I would be involved with the student newspaper at UHCL. 

From there, came an array of new experiences, ambitions and lessons. I knew one day I would become editor-in-chief of The Signal, as I realized early on I would be here long enough to outlast my predecessors, leaving me as the only choice to take the mantle. 

These past five years at The Signal have been many things. I certainly would not be the same person had I not spent these years at The Signal. 

The Signal did all the things a meaningful job should do. I was able to do work that truly felt like it mattered. While at The Signal, I produced content and practiced journalism that achieved award-winning success

I was given the opportunity to express my voice and thoughts on an array of topics and developed the skills and discipline necessary to help me be successful at other jobs. 

I was able to grow and further know the power of words because after all, words matter. Of course, I also learned. 

I met so many wonderful people I could always enjoy wonderful discourse and laughs with even when we disagreed. 

Working at The Signal further solidified for me just how much having journalistic skills and experience provides a great foundation for any career. It is a position that forces you to be an observer, check your biases, keep up with the world around you, learn to gather information and meet/talk to people and so much more. These are lifelong skills anyone can benefit from, and as I move on to other jobs, I can hardly express how much I owe The Signal for all its many lessons. 

There are so many people I owe a great amount of debt to, people who helped me in ways I am eternally grateful for. 

A year ago I wrote about how I often feel like an archer, but not always in the best way. After all, the archer does not always hit its target the first time.

Well, I only had one shot as editor-in-chief, and it was one I hope I did not miss the mark on. Journalism and I have had a close and growing relationship since I was young and to be the editor-in-chief of my college newspaper was a true challenge and opportunity I did not take for granted. 

I learned many things about myself. I learned about my own work style, my ability to take on many things at once and my approach to matters in contrast to others. 

I learned to deal with criticism, decisions and the regrets and consequences that come with them, and I’d be lying if I said The Signal did not impact my idealism and optimism. For every bit that I have remained an optimist and idealist, I am thankful for the skeptical and cynical attitudes I was around. I certainly needed it at least to some degree.

As I go into the real world, I know before I make many decisions I have a better healthy skepticism in my head that I will consider before I make a decision. 

No promises I won’t still go on idealistic crusades. 

I got to do some of the things I hoped to do upon becoming in charge and I was blessed with a staff of wonderful people each with talents and attributes that made me in charge of an awesomely well-rounded newspaper. I have great faith in them and the future work they will do. 

To my Signal peeps, I wish you all the best. You’ve all been doing great work and I hope throughout my time as your editor I was able to make it a memorable one and one in which you could flourish and learn (within good reason). To my advisor Lindsay, I thank you for all your guidance, patience and strength. You were a boss every boss could take lessons from, and I am not exaggerating. 

To the readers and community of UHCL, it’s been a pleasure making content for you. Hopefully, you found yourselves informed and educated and maybe even entertained by some of this content I helped put my heart into.

Farewell Signal, and farewell Hawks. Well, farewell from a Signal standpoint at least. 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.